Friday, September 5, 2014

Review: Wildcard by Missy Johnson




** This is part one of a three part serial. Part two will release on the 16th September and part three on the 30th September. Part one is a 25,000 word novella **
246.

That's the number of women I've shagged in the last twelve months.

I'm Ryder Stevens.

Don't pretend you don't know me. I'm a god.

I'm hot, I'm British and I take what I want. I'm also the number one ranked tennis player in the world. But it's my off court antics that gain the most attention. I cruise through life, running from one scandal to the next. Hell I can't even take a piss without the world knowing about it.

Rules? Who gives a shit?

Rules are there to be broken and I'm the king of breaking them.

But even the king can be bought to his knees. I'm sidelined with an injury that changes everything.

And suddenly I'm left thinking that maybe my life isn't so perfect after all...

 Currently only .99!!

http://amzn.to/1qrnWKM




Wildcard by Missy Johnson is the first book in a series about a British hottie tennis player who has smooth moves on and off the court. And it is those moves that eventually put his illustrious tennis career in jepordy, making him question how he feels about the path that his life is taking.  While reading this book the reader will laugh, gasp and even awwww at the antics that Ryder goes through.  It is well worth the read and was a 3.5 star book for me.  I highly recommend everyone start this series and with the cliff hanger that Missy Johnson left me with, I CANNOT wait for the next book to be released!

Ryder Stevens is a guy that seems to have everything going for him.  He is one of the top ranked British tennis players and is a match away from winning the French Open, despite his antics off the court, antics which give him more notarity then his moves on the court.  The reasons for his drinking and many many woman is different than what most believe, but being the best, he feels like there is nothing more for him to achieve, but maybe proving that he can still be the best after a night of drinking and sex.  That is until he decides to have an orgy in his room on the night before the final match of the French Open.  The injury that he sustains during this time will make you crack up laughing, it is like nothing the reader would ever expect.  He will be laid up in bed for some time making him anxious.  Ryder is always on the go and being confined to his bed is something that he is not looking forward to.  That is until he decides to start reading his neglected fan mail.  Its a letter from a young boy telling him how he is wasting his talent that changes everything for Ryder.

Scarlett Caleras is a single mom with a son named Jake who has cystic fibrosis.  After reading Jake's less then admiring letter, Ryder decides to call Jake to show him that he isn't the jerk he appears to be in the media.  However, Scarlett won't allow Ryder to speak to Jake, not at first anyway.  Ryder and Scarlett talk on the phone often which is unchartered territory for Ryder; a relationship with no sex involved.    But he finds himself unable to stop thinking about her.  They finally meet face to face when Ryder acts in an unselfish manner, something Scarlett pushes him to do, and sets her up with the world's leading doctor in cystic fibrosis research.  After a week together Ryder can't stop thinking about her as well as his tennis career.  Knowing that she is in Chicago, he decides to surprise her by participating in a tennis clinic.  But he is the one that got the surprise when he showed up at her house unannounced.  What a cliff hanger!  I cannot wait to find out what happens next.


I love reading a book that makes me chuckle! 
Just wait until you find out what happens to him, you will too.



Meet Ryder Stevens, professional tennis player as well as a manwhore

extraordinaire. The man can win tennis matches like no other but he also can

"play" the women as well. I mean, come on ladies, who wouldn't want to be with THE number one British tennis player?

The tabloids have been following him around and seemed to make it known to the world that he loves to drink and play the court, if you know what I mean.


As we know from the synopsis he ends up injured and needs to find a way to bide his time so he listens to the advice of his best friend, Josh and reads some of his fan mail. That is where the story starts to get interesting and he starts to realize maybe there's more to life than the partying and a different woman every night.

This was a very interesting read and definitely kept my attention AND before I knew it I was at the end! It does have a cliffhanger ending, but worth it. I have mixed emotions personally about cliffhangers. At times, I get angry and frustrated but others I'm ok with it and this one I'm good with!
So after reading it, I would give this book at 3.5 star review.


This book is a novella that is going to be a part of a series and the next one releases on September 22nd. I can't wait for it because I need to know what happens next!!


Wild Card was a wild ride!  I would give it a 4 stars.  It is told in the POV of Ryder and it is a huge freaking cliffy!  This is a short book but soooo worth it!  You will wanna throw your kindle by the time your done reading this.. yes be aware!  

Ryder is a tennis a player and a big time playboy.  He doesn't have to rest too much before a match because it just comes naturally to him..maybe a little to easy.  He sleeps with many woman sometimes multiples at a time, but who wouldn't wanna have sex with him he is Ryder the super star after all.

I shrug, and wipe my mouth in an attempt to hide my smirk.  "Players prepare for matches in different ways.  I'm sure for some a good night's sleep does the trick, but for me, I'll take and evening of rough and sweaty sex over a quiet any day of the week"-- RYDER

I'm the fucking number one ranked player in the world.  I have twelve grand slams under my belt, and I've lost count of how many titles.  How much better can I really get?-- RYDER

Ryder has a wild night right before a championship match and it will change his life, some think for the worst.. even Ryder thinks the worst because he is injured and may not be able to play tennis for a long time.  But one letter will change his life forever.  What happens when a fan calls him out?  Will he be able to change and finally do something good for someone else?  When he meets the fan and his mother they will turn Ryder's life upside down.  Not only is he falling for Scarlett but her son Jake will steal his heart as well.  What will happen when secrets arise and his world will coming crashing down?

Scarlett is a single mom and is beyond shocked when she receives a phone call from the famous tennis player Ryder.  She thinks it is just some game to Ryder and will not let him speak to her son.  After numerous phone calls she finally realizes that maybe Ryder is not as bad as the media make him out to be... and not only that he is offering her help with her son.  When there worlds collide she is beside herself with the emotions she feels.. but she has a secret.. a big secret.. what will happen when its revealed?  She doesn't date, her first priority is her son.... but with Ryder she just isn't sure anymore what she believes.. but fate will make that decision for her.

"I've avoided dating in the past for that very reason.  I always thought I'd never be able to give my all to a relationship.  He will always come first.  Every single time."-- SCARLETT

AHHHH I can't wait for the next one... you have to pick this up pronto!  Missy Johnson I do believe you are trying to kill me with this story.  I'm not sure how long I can wait for more Ryder so please please please get him to us soon!  Thanks for a great cliffy story and I will not so patiently waiting the next installment.   
 


Missy lives in a small town in Central Victoria with her husband, and her confused pets (a dog who think she’s a cat, a cat who thinks he’s a dog…you get the picture).
When she’s not writing, she can usually be found looking for something to read.